As I mentioned in a previous post, I’ll be participating in the SciFund Challenge. We’ve been given a course outline and it sounds great!
Because I’ll be sharing what I learn as we go along, I’d like to give you a taste of what to expect. According to the organizers, our goal is to have the following by the end of the course:
- a general understanding of the many ways that scientist communicate their science to the public
- an understanding of how to craft a science message that is compelling to a more general audience
- some experience with a range of outreach tools (e.g. Google Hangouts)
- the beginnings of our own mini outreach community
- an outreach plan for the future
Given my interests in urban ecology and conservation in developing countries, this course will prove very valuable! I look forward to sharing what I learn with you!